Monday 3 April 2017

White Noise


I have made a conscious effort to STOP asking my black friends if they would like to ‘hang’ with me.  On reflection…it seems vulgar & insulting.  I know the expression has been accepted into the white vernacular, but it makes me cringe when I hear whitey using it.  (I also hate hearing a white person talking about how they are ‘down’ with something’.  Makes me want to KNOCK them ‘down’.)

I think it is insulting for a white person to hijack the language of another culture to show how they are ‘down’ with it.  Unless you have danced on the end of a rope…unless you have been routinely harassed and abused by 5-0…you know shit about black.  Black- for a white person- is the colour of night…the colour of ink…and the colour of the afterlife.  Anything else about black ‘aint for you. 

Be thankful the black man gave you music and dance.  Even though we will never do these things as well as them…we have them.

If you want to walk around saying ‘homie’…

Do it at home. 

Be compassionate and mindful.  We have LOTS of other words & expressions in the English language that are ours.  This bullshit about white people being able to use the ‘N’ word because it is a free country?  Go to hell.  If you are using the ‘N’ word…then you are being deliberately antagonistic; you are NOT waving any flags for liberty.  Do you feel me?  So…whitey?  Lay off the street speak. 

It’s not yours.  We have our own words.  Surely we can let them have ‘Word’.  

Haven’t we taken enough from them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment