Monday 19 December 2016

On a Tram Car to Hell...


I was riding the toy tram recently, and this woman starting telling me all about how they were thinking of putting on a historical drama, involving use of the tram.

Something set around the 1800's, when Portland was just a fledgling community.

It would have squatters, diggers, troopers, bushrangers, and all that period folderol.

I listened politely.


Then she pointed out to me a portion of the route where she wanted to have a woman in period costume getting raped by some drunken farmers, and I looked at her.

'beg pardon?'

She smiled reassuringly; 'It's OK...she's a prostitute.'


So...by inference she was saying she felt that it was OK for a prostitute to be raped, here, or in any other century.


Where do you start with people like this?

This...from a woman?  Old enough to know better?


BTW, this actually happened.  It is not a literary device I made up in my head...

it really happened.


I'm sorry it did.

I think this woman belong in a period well before the 1800's when there was no one here.


But a few kangaroos, & some territorial blacks.


I didn't ask her position on any other minorities...I can scarcely imagine.

Her view of the koori's.


But ship her back to the colonies in a time machine...



I'm sure she'd fit right in.    

No comments:

Post a Comment